SIMPLE PAST
The "simple past" is used to talk about an action that ended earlier than the current one. The duration is not relevant. The time in which the action is situated can be the recent past or the distant past.
The "simple past" is always used to refer to when something happened, so it is associated with certain time expressions that indicate:
- Frequency: often, sometimes, always
I sometimes walked home at lunchtime.
I often brought my lunch to school.
- A specified time: last week, when I was a child, yesterday, six weeks ago
We saw a good film last week.
Yesterday, I arrived in Geneva.
She finished her work atseven o'clock
I went to the theater last night
- An indeterminate time: the other day, ages ago, a long time ago People lived in caves a long time ago.
She played the piano when she was a child.
Note: the term ago is useful to express time distance in the past. It is placed after the period of time in question: a week ago, three years ago, a minute ago.
Formation of the "simple past" with regular verbs
| Afirmative | ||
| Subject | + root+ ed | |
| I | skipped. | |
| Negative | ||
| Subject | + did not | + infinitive without to |
| They | didn't | go. |
| Interrogative | ||
| Did | + subject | + infinitive without to |
| Did | she | arrive? |
| Interrogative negative | ||
| Did not | + subject | + infinitive without to |
| Didn't | you | play? |
"Simple past" of the verbs to be, to have, to do
Let's see if you can apply the verbs in the past in a more real context with the following activity



No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario